Friday 23 May 2014

New Things


I’m learning to try new things, all the time if I can.

University is over, which is a weird thing if you allow yourself a moment to think about it. Five years pass, and you’re an entirely different person. How can that be? How did half of a decade pass so quickly? I imagine this is how parents must feel.

I had a bit of a quarter-life crisis before leaving school. I worried if I would ever find a community like this again, especially one that could afford me such opportunities as joining random clubs or finding interesting groups of new people. I became anxious that I had spent too much time on certain pursuits, excluding myself from others. (Who knows? I could have made a good member of student government. Har har.)

In the last few months of school, I made sure to try new things. I tried to return to my theatre roots, and (so so nervously) performed at a poetry slam (run by Queen’s Poetry Slam; see video above). I read a LOT more. I decided that I would make the switch to lactose-free milk.

Now that I’m in a nine-to-five job, it’s becoming more important for me to keep this part of me intact. I don’t know what it’s called just yet, but I’m pretty sure it’s important. Which is why I’m drafting this post on the GO station platform. Which is why I still browse discount flight websites, and pick up a new hobby every once in a while. Which is why I don’t think I’ll ever stop reading, or writing, for that matter. 

Perhaps, throughout it all, I’ll be too tired. But the alternative seems pretty tiring to me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...