Wednesday 26 March 2014

Soon


In less than six weeks, I'll be joining the legion of the recently-graduated - the soon-to-be disillusioned, we-used-be-so-young-and-so-fun people that are straddling the line between responsibility and, I don't know, naive hope in the future?

I bet there are a million thinkpieces on this type of stuff. I'm trying to avoid reading them. Between seeing friends, spending time drinking tea in strange coffee shops and re-igniting a sentimental side of myself not seen since the age of 15, I couldn't much care about the qualms of what it's like to move on to the next stage of my life.

Instead, I spend nights reading books and watching movies and pretending I don't have to pack my life up into my parents' basement in the next few weeks.

I was having a conversation with a friend the other night, and this phrase came out: "You either become boring or you die. Hopefully the latter comes before the former." (I'm actually not sure what was said exactly. I'll have to refer to it when I get home.)

I think the fear, in general (IN GENERAL!), is that we're all so scared to be boring. University, in a way, reassures us that we have purpose. We have that end goal. We're not boring!

Just over a year ago, I wrote a post about how terrified I was to start the next year of my life. Now, on the other side, I don't think there was very much to be scared of at all. I learned a lot, and grew a lot, but now I think I'm finally ready to go.

It's strange to finally feel like you've done something. But that's assuming that accomplishment is the only way to demarcate personal success.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...