Thursday 6 December 2012

Something to Think About


I was struck by the above photo on reddit today. Watch this video to learn more about these gorillas, orphaned by poachers and the like, who are raised in the jungles of the Congo. 

In the past few years, I've developed more of a compassion towards animals. It began with studying biology (my minor) and learning about all the species that inhabit this planet. Growing up, I didn't have any pets, but my parents were always incredibly good about teaching me how to respect animals and exposing me to wildlife through trips to the zoo and various books that still line the shelves at home. About a year and a half ago, I began volunteering for Toronto Cat Rescue, a charity which helps stray cats by placing them in foster homes and arranging for their adoption through a rigorous screening process (starting with places like the Adoption Centre at any Petsmart!). I've heard it described as something like adopting a child.  

Now that I'm nearly graduating, I can't help but think about what to do with a gap year. I know of friends who are travelling to far-off places to teach schoolchildren English, or to help out with a not-for-profit charity in a developing country. It's something that's been on my mind lately and, while I don't see a future in wildlife preservation per se, I think that it's important to expose myself to more species conservation efforts.

The research process will be an ongoing one, but I'm excited to see where this desire to help out takes me. The effort will always continue, but I can't wait until I can take part.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...